The one-stop shop for all of your Halo needs

Ah, don't you love the internet?

Devil Mingy

Ah, don't you love the internet?

Post  Devil Mingy on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:17 pm

In what is no doubt a way to boost cyber-ratings, Gameplaytoday has decided to name Halo 3: ODST one of the Xbox 360's worst exclusives (It beat out Bomberman: Act Zero FFS!). Why did they believe that ODST deserved this title? Did they find fault in the story or gameplay? Of course not.

They even make a dig about Halo fans being immature. Classy folks there.

Matrix

Re: Ah, don't you love the internet?

Post  Matrix on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Other than it being over priced (not bungies fault) and decentl short (although not bad) it was a good game, not amazing by an means but I can think of 10 games of the top of my head that are worse.
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:49 pm

I really don't mind that people hate it (though I question anyone who thinks it's worse than a game like, oh say, Hour of Victory). However, they give absolutely no reason aside from "Reach had better features" and "Microsoft made Bungie make it" (which I don't really think is true). There are plenty of reasons to dislike Halo 3: ODST (Firefight was a concept that left a lot to be desired, encounters were extremely predictable and up to Halo 2-esque in linearity, disjointed story caused by open-ended style, extremely underwhelming overworld, etc).

Would it kill people to actually have a reason to hate Halo other than the fact that it's popular?

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:54 pm

In response to your last question, yes. Yes it would.

Honestly, though, I can tell you exactly why it was the biggest disappointment. It didn't have competitive multiplayer. In this sad, pathetic world where 95% of the gaming community absolutely insists on having some form of multiplayer to where you can kill your buddies for points to prove your dominance over them, a game without it will always end up suffering in one way or another. Whether it's Ratings in ODST or sales in Dead Space, lack of MP will always cause these unfortunate gems to suffer, hence why games like DS2 and AC: Brotherhood are having MP implemented into their offering no matter what the cost (Brotherhood's online will be dead soon and DS2's was terrible and never even took off to begin with.)

Campaign-wise, I'll admit ODST was a bit straight-forward and left something to be desired in the HUB world, but with the altered gameplay, the new mood and setting, and just the overall different-ness of it compared to the other Halo's, overall I have to say ODST was my second favorite Campaign in the series (Reach included.)

Firefight, and you'll probably consider me nuts after this, was more enjoyable in ODST than it is in Firefight. In Reach, I admit I enjoy the FF arcade gametype just for pure and simple slaughter. I admit it. It's fun. I also love being able to customize and alter various aspects of the matches for unique experiences. That being said, however, I felt the default FF experience was far stronger in ODST. The map selection was far more enjoable (I felt they were better built for FF matches as well.) The few with vehicles made much better and more consistent use of them, even though there was a larger variety of enemies to fight in Reach, ODST better diversified the different enemy types and made you feel like you had more unique enemies (multiple classes of Brutes, Grunts, Jackals, and Drones, Hunters, and even one level with engineers to mix things up. I never understood why they dropped most of those ranks from Halo Reach to begin with.) Enemies were also mixed together. Instead of having waves exclusively for Grunts, Jackals, Brutes, Skirmishers, and Elites/Hunters, you had all the enemies mixed together, which created an element of surprise as you never knew what to expect. On top of that weapons placed around the level made for a more strategic fight than simply dying and respawning with a new weapon of your choice. You really made those Rockets count and you wanted your Sniper and Shotgun last since you weren't getting more rounds until the end of the current round.)

[QUOTE=Scooter; Borderlands]Smokin' Jesus Titty Cinnamon! That thing's a MONSTER![/QUOTE]
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:07 pm

While I disagree, I do not consider you nuts. Any good reason (even if it's just a lack of competitive multiplayer, which I can definitely consider to be a legit complaint about certain games) is perfectly fine. Objectivity and open-mindedness (and some thought) go a long way.

Like I said, this is most likely a way to draw sales. They literally do not give a single reason to consider ODST among the worst 360 games, while they at least have something to say about the others. They even feel a need to call Halo fans out.

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:43 pm

You're probably right. It's just a market pitch. "*Hurk* Lets say Halo is bad so people will notice our website." Did they not get the memo? Everybody attacks Halo. It's not original and it's certainly not new by any means.

Unfortunately, though, it's apparently working to some degree since you (Yes, I'm pointing my E-Finger at you Mingy) linked to it and posted a thread bringing attention to it. All it takes is a few dozen you's and that article has accomplished the purpose of it's goal entirely :p

[QUOTE=Scooter; Borderlands]Smokin' Jesus Titty Cinnamon! That thing's a MONSTER![/QUOTE]
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Meh. I've never denied being one to throw stones from my glass house. I point out all incredulous natures, even if it is trollololol. Been like that since 2003.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:06 am