The one-stop shop for all of your Halo needs

I'm all out of bubblegum

Thanos of Halo

I'm all out of bubblegum

Post  Thanos of Halo on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Devil Mingy

Re: I'm all out of bubblegum

Post  Devil Mingy on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:39 pm

If nothing else, at least the game seems to retain its snark (though I daresay the Doom marine cameo in DN3D was a bit funnier).

I still have little hope for this game.

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:28 pm

What good are the Easter Eggs and Jabs if they're going to reveal them before the game comes out. I knew there was going to be something Halo-related hidden in DNF, but I didn't want to be told about it. I wanted to find it on my own.

Oh well. Still can't wait for this game. I've got a good feeling about it Very Happy

[QUOTE=Scooter; Borderlands]Smokin' Jesus Titty Cinnamon! That thing's a MONSTER![/QUOTE]
    Thanos of Halo

[Personal Response]

Post  Thanos of Halo on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Reading some articles on the first hour of play that the reviewers already have played, apparently a large amount of Easter eggs went undiscovered.

Duke3D is one of my all time favorite FPSs because of the the number of hidden objects/rooms. I am glad this Duke (built by original D3D programmers) may bring back the absolute need to platform an entire FPS level.
    DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 am

I can only imagine the number of jokes and jabs they've tucked away inside this gem of a game. Even if the gameplay doesn't quite hold up by today's standards (which it never really was supposed to anyway. If it's a crazy-fun shooter like Serious Sam and it keeps the jokes fresh and consistent, than I'm happy) I still think this game will hold a special place in a lot of people's hearts, myself being one of them. I miss the days of Duke3D and I look forward to seeing how much of the original formula remains intact.

And off topic, but I figured I would ask since you're reading the articles Thanos. Does it say anything about how the progression of the storyline is? Try as I might, I cannot find anything on whether it's a Level-based game like Duke3D, Halo, etc..., or if it's one long, seamless world like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, etc...

[QUOTE=Scooter; Borderlands]Smokin' Jesus Titty Cinnamon! That thing's a MONSTER![/QUOTE]
    Thanos of Halo

Post  Thanos of Halo on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:50 am

It looks to episodic like the previous games, but heavy on the cinematic and vulgar in between levels. It would appear DNF (do not finish??) is heavy on platforming and shooting with a lot of old school minigames and puzzles. Like a hardcore FPS-Ocarina of Time.

If co-op campaign is available, could be a true kickass campaign experience.
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Platforming and first person... that's assuring.

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Ah Devil. This is just looking less and less positive for you with every post. lol. Look on the bright side though. You don't seem to have really anticipated this game all that much, so when it finally releases after 13 years and it probably does end up sucking, at least it won't be as much of a burn to you as it will be for me and everybody else (but especially me.)

As awesome as Campaign Co-op would be, I have trouble picturing Duke Nukem supporting that. Duke is the Lone Bad-Ass of the universe. You can't have two dukes running around and there don't really seem to be any candidates for a second co-op character (though they could always pay licensing fees and throw in Sam "Serious" Stone. That could be amusing.)

I hate the aesthetic nature of co-op gaming regrettably. From a gameplay perspective it's starting to improve thanks to games like Halo: Reach and Borderlands. Increasing difficulty, adding enemies, etc... are all good ideas to bolster the co-op experience and they need to continue to add to that. Cinematically, though, it's always bugged me that Player 2 gets the cold shoulder. Halo 3 did okay with this function by including 4 unique co-op characters (though regrettably only the first two actually showed up in the storyline), but they ended up cheating their way through by completely throwing away the Arbiter's storyline and just made him a present A.I presence regardless when nobody else was playing.

Aside from that, however, games always fail to acknowledge the existence of another player and they usually even fail to appear in the cutscenes. I feel the presence of co-op in any game should be accompanied by alterations to the storyline. Maybe in co-op they can have some minor dialog and back story for the main character. Or in single player maybe the game can explain how your parter was killed in action early on. Anything to acknowledge the players existence or lack thereof and enhance the universe.

Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Yeah, I will honestly admit that I'm going to rent this gaming expecting to hate it. I was never a big fan of Duke Nukem 3D (I found it charming, but far from my favorite FPS), and what I've seen of this one hasn't impressed me too much. Jokes and fanservice are nice touches, but they can't carry a game. To give some credit, I have the utmost confidence in Gearbox to make a decent game out of it (though they are the definition of a hit-or-miss developer).

Frankly, after 14 years of infamy, I feel this game's sheer legend will overshadow any positive qualities that most people will find in the game as it is. Like Crysis will forever be held back by its reputation as a graphical powerhouse, DNF will probably be held back by the fact it's DNF.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 am