The one-stop shop for all of your Halo needs

What's your planned videogame shopping list for 2011?

DarkReign2021
    Admin

What's your planned videogame shopping list for 2011?

Post  DarkReign2021 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Not even a month into the new year and it's already shaping up to be one of the greatest years in gaming history. A slew of amazing sequels and new titles alike look to give us one hell of a year. So with that said, what games announced so far do you plan to purchase in the year 2011 (barring unknown release dates and potential delays.)

So far, my list includes:

Mass Effect 3
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Brink
    Bulletstorm
    Gears of War 3
    Crysis 2
    Rage
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Portal 2
    Steel Battalion Kinect

[QUOTE=Scooter; Borderlands]Smokin' Jesus Titty Cinnamon! That thing's a MONSTER![/QUOTE]
    Launch

Re: What's your planned videogame shopping list for 2011?

Post  Launch on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Mass Effect 3
    Portal 2
    Dragon Age 2
    Possibly Brink
    And hoping for that remake of CE

There doesn't seem to be that many games out this year that I want, though I probably forgot some.
    Matrix

Post  Matrix on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Bulletstorm
    Homefront
    Gears of war 3
    Elder scrolls V: skyrim
    All the new vegas DLC
    Brink

There are more but I can't think of them.

Also, am I the only one who didn't like Portal?
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:05 am

Killzone 3
    Bulletstorm
    Conduit 2
    Gears of War 3
    Mass Effect 3
    Uncharted 3
    Crysis 2
    Zelda: Skyward Sword

I'm on the fence about Resistance 3. It's a step in the right direction from Resistance 2, but I'm going to wait and see if they've truly learned.

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:13 pm

@Matrix: Yes. You probably are the only one. lol. I'm sure there are tons of people that won't buy 2 even if they did enjoy the first one. It's really not worth a full retail, so unless they're releasing it for $10-$15 on XBLA, I'm sure most people will pass.

And yes, guess I should add Halo: CE remake based on the assumption that it's being made. Than again, I should also add Mirror's Edge 2 if they ever get around to announcing it.

Also forgot to add Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed 3 (if they release it this year. Doubt it.), Prince of Persia 2 (based on the cel-shaded version that came out in 2008)

Unfortunately on this entire list Arkham City is the only one actually known to exist.

[QUOTE=Scooter; Borderlands]Smokin' Jesus Titty Cinnamon! That thing's a MONSTER![/QUOTE]
    Matrix

Post  Matrix on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm going to wait a little bit on Arkham city. Although the first one was a good game I didn't find it worth $60. I'll end up getting it when price drops though.

About portal, I bought it for $5 when they had it on sale around Christmas and I didn't like it. Even for the $5 I didn't find it worth that and a wouldn't find Portal 2 worth $60.
    Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:31 pm

DarkReign2021 wrote:@Matrix: Yes. You probably are the only one. lol. I'm sure there are tons of people that won't buy 2 even if they did enjoy the first one. It's really not worth a full retail, so unless they're releasing it for $10-$15 on XBLA, I'm sure most people will pass.

Quoted for truth.

Matrix wrote:I'm going to wait a little bit on Arkham city. Although the first one was a good game I didn't find it worth $60. I'll end up getting it when price drops though.

I agree with this, also.

Holiday 2011 is set to be quite an interesting time, though. A lot of good stuff coming out from September to November. Naturally, they'll all have to deal with the inevitable Call of Duty 8, too.

Gears of War 3 is definitely looking like the game to beat. I just hope Epic really has taken a long, hard look at the first two games and can correct their online woes. The beta should tell us.

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:23 pm

I agree on waiting for Arkham City. A lot of these games I'll probably just wait and pick up a few months down the road. I very rarely pay for a full-priced game anymore. No game is really worth that much money (except maybe Halo or Mass Effect.)

Also, got a few more to add to my list:

Beyond Good & Evil HD
    Beyond Good & Evil 2
    Borderworlds (rumored)

Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:18 pm

After the demo and the subsequent leak of the PC version, I've decided to pass on Crysis 2. I guess I'll have to wait yet again for a good sequel to a Crytek game.

I was also considering Homefront before finding out that it's single player, spearheaded by Red Dawn writer John Milius, is short and utterly forgettable. Perhaps the movie to game transition didn't quite go as expected. It's a shame, because I like the idea of a modern FPS that doesn't rely entirely on Michael Bay-esque set pieces and instead goes for the more harsh "close to home" presentation. However, if I can beat most of the game in the same time that I can watch Red Dawn, I'll probably just rent it. It's rare to find a set-piece driven shooter that's replayable nowadays.

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:58 pm

Well if it's any consolation, this is the first sequel that Crytek themselves has developed. At least with Farcry 2 we can blame Ubisoft Montreal for ruining a Crytek license (I'm willing to bet if they let Crytek go back to the Farcry license they could punch out a good sequel now.)

Also, has anybody noticed that Crytek always uses part of their name in their games? FarCRY and CRYsis. They really need to get some new CRYteria to work with. lol... Good god. I just gave them an idea for the title of their next game.

I purposefully tried to avoid Homefront. Looked up no trailers and saw no screens. If it was going to be good, I wanted it to surprise me. Unfortunately, my pessimism was correct once more.

Moving on, I picked up BG&E on XBLA and it's just as much fun as I remembered it being. Unfortunately no new content was added and the achievements were all easy to get (I had them all in my first playthrough and I'm listed as the first to get 200/200 over on the X360A boards.) Still worth a buy if you were a fan of the original or ever curious. Plus the more support it gets the more likely we'll get that sequel that we were promised (and if you haven't seen it already, look up the leaked gameplay trailer for it. Looks like Assassin's Creed mixed with some Mirror's Edge with a Sci-Fi edge to it.

Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 pm

DarkReign2021 wrote:Well if it's any consolation, this is the first sequel that Crytek themselves has developed. At least with Farcry 2 we can blame Ubisoft Montreal for ruining a Crytek license (I'm willing to bet if they let Crytek go back to the Farcry license they could punch out a good sequel now.)

Or they would do what they've done with Crysis 2 and take the wonderful, open ended levels, various tactical options within terrain choice alone, vehicular combat, etc... and make a linear CoD clone because they know it will sell better. Also, remember how Morgan was proud to be able to make believable characters and narrative that would make Halo's "Bullshit archetypes" look shallow? While I admit that I did not finish Crysis 2, I will state this from the four hours that I played of it: Reach had more character development than Crysis 2 did. That's pretty freakin sad. Prophet is about as close to that depth that Crysis 2 ever reaches (and most of his character development is given away in the freakin trailers). I guess Morgan was hoping the idea that New York was being destroyed would be emotional. It's not like I've ever seen a shooter destroy a real city before v_v.

Also, on multiplayer component, I have one major question: Whose idea was it to address the camping issue by making it easier and rewarding you for doing it?

Also, has anybody noticed that Crytek always uses part of their name in their games? FarCRY and CRYsis. They really need to get some new CRYteria to work with. lol... Good god. I just gave them an idea for the title of their next game.

I'm not complaining. If Cryteria is anything like Far Cry and Crysis, it'll be a blast to play and look at. Cryteria 2 however...

I purposefully tried to avoid Homefront. Looked up no trailers and saw no screens. If it was going to be good, I wanted it to surprise me. Unfortunately, my pessimism was correct once more.

A lot of its strength is the presentation, which is taking the dystopian elements of things such as MW2 and Half-life 2 and giving it a "close to home" look. Plus, the writer of three excellent movies behind its belt. It's clear that they should care about the single player at least as much as Infinity Ward and Treyarch should. In video game terms, a five hour FPS is barely enough time to have a story unless you're going cutscene heavy. Even if it is a fun five hours, I have to remember: Black Ops was a fun five hours, too, but for $60 I think I can ask for more. Plus, for all the complaints on Black Ops single player, "forgettable" was not a word used. In fact, that might be the absolute last word that one wants to see to describe an action game.

Especially since it's very hard to replay a single player like that. To this day, the only set piece dependent FPS games that I can really replay are Call of Duty and Call of Duty 4. They are summer blockbusters: great to see the first time, but the value wears off quickly. Even Killzone 3 isn't that replayable, and I had high hopes after Killzone 2's (relatively) well done single player.

Moving on, I picked up BG&E on XBLA and it's just as much fun as I remembered it being. Unfortunately no new content was added and the achievements were all easy to get (I had them all in my first playthrough and I'm listed as the first to get 200/200 over on the X360A boards.) Still worth a buy if you were a fan of the original or ever curious. Plus the more support it gets the more likely we'll get that sequel that we were promised (and if you haven't seen it already, look up the leaked gameplay trailer for it. Looks like Assassin's Creed mixed with some Mirror's Edge with a Sci-Fi edge to it.

I'll probably break down and pick it up if only to support it. BG&E definitely deserves a sequel.

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:40 pm

And so far... I'm about 50/50 on my current possible list.

All the games on my list that are out or will be soon:

Duke Nukem Forever= Balls of Steel Edition is completely paid off.

Brink- Pre-order is canceled and I'm waiting to see the reviews for the Single Player campaign before I commit.

Bulletstorm- So far this one is a pass. Probably pick it up when it's $15 or so used just to play the Single Player.

Crysis 2- Completely skipped. Not looking back. Crytek is now on my Do not buy games from list along with Activision and EA outside of Bioware.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution- Have basic edition pre-ordered, but only the minimum $5. Waiting until we get closer to release before I make the final decision.

Portal 2- Bought it, almost have the achievements 100% complete, and have most of the game mastered. Sold it again 3 days later and made most of my money back. Really funny and enjoyable game, but 0 replay value since all of the quotes can be found on youtube.

Beyond Good & Evil HD- Bought it. Love it. Got all the achievements. Still play once in a while.

I guess I'm not doing too bad with my list so far. Hopefully Brink turns out good. That's tiding me over until Duke Nukem. Than Duke will hold me until Deus Ex assuming I go through with getting it. Otherwise should hold me until Xmas. Gears 3 I'm passing on until it's budget priced. Mass Effect 3 and Elder Scrolls V are both fully paid off for basic editions and will be upgraded to max editions and fully paid off the days they're announced.

All that leaves in the air is Steel Battalion and that damn halo 1 remake. Hopefully we hear something at E3 this year. Also thinking about adding Powerup Heroes (Kinect game) to the list. Waiting to see how the gameplay handles before I invest though. I'm still mad at Ubisoft for what they gave us with Fighter's Uncaged.

Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Sun May 01, 2011 1:14 pm

Well, I decided to rent Homefront on recommendation and check out Crysis 2 on the 360 for some easy gamerscore and to see how it fairs on console.

I do have to say that while Crysis 2 is a poor Crysis game, it is a decent CoD clone. The console version had a lot more physics glitches than I saw in the PC version, and I still could not find the story outside of "aliens invade New York and there's a PMC group that needs to be killed (because any PMC in a shooter made Post-Blackwatergate has to be eeeevil)". The suit's fun to use, but the linear structure of Crysis 2 makes it feel limited. The biggest gripe I have with it is the way it takes all the thinking out of its encounters. Crysis, like Halo, was at its best when it dropped you into an area, showed you what you were up against, and then just told you to make it through however you wanted. That freedom of choice is what I've always loved about Halo and it's what really made Crysis and Far Cry special. Crysis 2, however, forces you to rely on its scan visor to keep track of enemies (lest they blend into the background), and that scan visor also tells you everything you need to do. If there's a way to stealth across the level, the visor will show you the path to take. If there's a good sniping spot and lots of ammo, it'll show you where to go. If there's a power weapon, it'll show you where it is. Good luck finding any other creative options beyond "kill everything with a SCAR". Does Crytek really think I'm too stupid to be able to take out a handful of guards without them holding my hand through it? Still, it was an easy 600 gamerscore and none of the single player achievements were too difficult.

Homefront, on the other hand, was a mess. Beyond the single player campaign that I beat in three and a half hours and the multiplayer that it wouldn't let me play (when it wasn't demanding that I pay $10, it was telling me the servers were down), I was also treated to its "disturbingly plausible" storyline that made my head hurt. If this is the best John Millius can do, then his best days are clearly behind him. This was one of the least intelligent and poorly thought out storylines I've seen since Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 and Haze. The game wants to be looked at through a microscope and almost begs you to take in the immersion of occupied America. However, the more I looked at the game, the more stupidity I found. The game also loved to kill its own pacing by slowing down and showing how eeevil the enemy was (except for the part where we were supposed to feel sorry for them for some reason), which usually just meant giving us HL2-esque police brutality scenes that were made even more tasteless by adding small children into the mix. Gameplay wise, it's a CoD clone with less weapons and even less interesting weapons. I could trace almost every one of the game's setpieces to one of the last four CoD games. The game's greatest moment, the last level, is idiotic in concept but damn fun. It's a shame that the game is over just when I start enjoying it. The one thing that Kaos could learn from Infinity Ward and Treyarch is the idea of forgiveness. To quote another reviewer, the game seems to love killing you out of spite when you don't do exactly as it tells you. This manages to kill any replay value the game might have had because every skirmish has literally one solution that doesn't lead to instant death. It's taken to its logical extreme when it tries to copy CoD4's beloved sniping stealth mission. Not only does it fail you if you hit an enemy that it didn't tell you to kill, it will fail you if you hit the right enemy at the wrong time, even if there is no logical consequence. I know some might think I'm nuts for saying this, but I think I enjoyed Turning Point better. Turning Point was really dumb, but at least it didn't try to convince me otherwise.

Gears of War 3's beta is pretty nice. King of the Hill and the revamped deathmatch are well designed and the four maps given are pretty good. Even the maligned Capture the Leader is a major improvement from its Gears 2 progenitor. I also enjoy the idea of using medals and rank to earn executions and weapon skins that, while gimcrack, are still worth unlocking for the sheer flare. It's got some really bad spawn issues and the dedicated servers are sporadic at best, but Epic does seem to have learned from their mistakes. Then again, I wasn't buying Gears 3 for its multiplayer (as it will probably be a boost fest for Gears 3's inevitable grinding achievements), but it's nice to see that it'll at least be playable. I'm a little surprised at how few people are playing the Gears 3 beta for as big of a game as this is. I've played it across 3 accounts so far in two weeks and I have yet to see it break 100,000 players. It's very curious given that Reach's beta had over 1 million players on its first day and over 250,000 players at one time.

Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Wed May 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Well, no more Mass Effect 3 this year Sad

I guess I should've seen this coming, given ME2 was delayed for the same reasons.

DarkReign2021
    Admin

Post  DarkReign2021 on Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm

With the list of good games worth buying this year slowly starting to dwindle, I guess it's a good time to maybe go back and find some of those old games you passed on for whatever reason. And I've found that the best place to find some good deals is on Glyde. It's a lot like Ebay, but specialized in Games, Movies, and Books. I've used it to buy and sell a ton of my stuff and I get much better deals here than I ever would at Gamestop or Disc Replay.

If you do decide to sign up, I would like to ask of everybody that they sign up with my personal link below. They give the referrer $2 for every person that signs up and an additional $10 for every 5. I need 3 or 4 more for my bonus Very Happy

http://glyde.com/?rid=6sm9nm

Devil Mingy

Post  Devil Mingy on Tue May 24, 2011 3:46 pm

Pity about Brink's reviews, though I plan on renting it once Blockbuster gets it back in on Wednesday.

Still, an impressive Gears 3 special edition (and another giant gun replica to go with my regular Lancer) and Uncharted 3 should not disappoint. Hell, even Modern Warfare 3 looks promising, given that Kotaku has laid it bare and the previews are just confirming the leak is accurate. As long as sledgehammer doens't fuck up the gameplay, it should be a nice campaign with more of the same beloved multiplayer.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 am